Help send Potomac Boat Club to the Henley Royal Regatta and Henley Masters Regatta
We are the men (and women!) of the Potomac Men’s Sweep Team. Six days a week, in Washington’s swampy summers and crisp, calm winters, we train together, race together, and compete together. We are students, we are Senior Masters; we are Veterans, we are parents; lightweights and heavyweights and coxswains. We have made national teams in each of the past five decades. We come from different places and backgrounds but have one thing in common - every morning we show up to make one another better and faster.
We’re proud of our efforts, our teammates, and our club and the best stage on which to show the world is in Henley-on-Thames, England at the Henley Royal Regatta (HRR) and Henley Masters Regatta (HMR). Henley offers a March Madness-style bracket of head-to-head single-elimination racing for a week straight. This unique race format - broadcast live all week for the whole world to see - not only requires rowers to be technically sound and physically strong, but mentally tough. These qualities only come with years of hard training and experience.
We'll select the fastest crews in the late spring, giving teammates an opportunity to push each other to their technical, physical, and mental limits. We are going to Henley to show the world that we are Potomac, and we are the crew to beat.
More About The Henley Royal Regatta
- The Henley Royal Regatta has been held annually every year since 1839 on the River Thames, in Henley-on-Thames, England.
- In 2018, HRR will take place July 4-8 and HMR will take place July 13-14.
- Each race at the regatta is 2,112 meters long (1.3 miles).
- HRR and HMR is a bracket style tournament. All races are rowed two abreast and the winner proceeds to the next round.
- In 2017, 577 crews from all over the world competed at HRR.
Why We are Raising Funds
- We are humbly requesting support from family and friends who have been a part of our rowing careers for so long.
- We are a self-funded program. Members pay dues to the club and fees to the team for maintenance of our boathouse and facilities, equipment upkeep, and compensation for top-tier coaching. Henley is an expense that is above and beyond our normal budget.
- Like any international competition, there are additional costs associated with our participation at HRR and HMR. We are asking our community to assist us as we plan to compete among the best in the world, during what is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
More about PBC
- PBC was founded in 1869, making 2018 our 149th anniversary.
- Our boathouse is located along the Potomac River in Washington, D.C.
- For more information about PBC, visit our website:http://www.potomacboatclub.org
We would like to thank...
Our families, friends and loved ones are a critical piece of this puzzle. Without their support and sacrifices, it would not be possible to gather as a team every morning. You all know who you are. Thank you.
Please Help Spread the Word!
- Please share this Rally for PBC with family and friends using the social media share buttons or sending this link via email and text!
- Get to know us better and receive team updates by following us on Instagram @pbcmensweep and by checking out our team roster, using the tabs above.
Thank you for your support and contributions! #rowlikeachampion
Groups and individuals raising money for the same goal.Join Rally Roster