Luke and Alex Mallen – born in 2008 – Twins-Sandy, Utah
Luke and Alex have been riding a bike most of their lives. Growing up in Utah, the possibilities are endless and the back yard vast. Unlike other kids their age who started in BMX, Luke and Alex started riding singletrack and downhill with their parents Liz and Tony at Deer Valley Resort Bikepark , Canyons Bikepark and the Corner Canyon trails in Draper when they were just four and a half. They loved the thrill of racing downhill, and hitting the small wood jumps in the gentler areas. As they got older they gradually progressed on to bigger things. At 7 they had their first film shoot with Worldbikeparks.com . That same year, the boys started racing in the Utah Gravity Series, meeting many of the friends they ride with now. Finding themselves on the podium frequently, the competition between the two of them, and their new-found buddies, has heated up.
In addition to racing and events the boys also enjoy filming and participating in photo projects with various action sports photographers. They work tirelessly with raising a good portion of their own funds, allowing them to participate in events all over. They also enjoy giving back to the community by working on trails, and voicing their opinions at community zoning meetings for new bike projects, facilities and trails.
On the off season, Luke and Alex enjoy competing with the Park City Freeski and Snowboard Club. Their main focus is slopestyle freeski, and enjoy the friendship, competition and airtime that this program offers. Currently Alex is the defending USASA 2018 National Slopestyle champ in the 11/12 boys division, with his twin brother Luke nipping at his heels as the current 2019 USASA Slopestyle Regional champ.
Welcome to Our Rally Campaign!
- We understand the value of hard work and what it takes to become a “Higher Level Human”, a phrase coined by Outlaw head coach, Tyson Henrie regarding core values, work ethic, kindness and service. Tying these concepts together with riding bikes, we are focused and driven. All of this has played a part in the ability to chalk up multiple podiums at races and events, sometimes in higher age brackets. This past season we were the youngest to have been invited to participate in the Fox Air DH at Crankworx Whistler, finishing respectably among the top talent in the sport. We have received our invitation to this years' event, and are hoping to raise enough funds to cover travel costs and entry fees.
Why I'm Raising Funds
- The funds raised will assist in the cost of travel, entry fees, coaching and bike maintainance.
How We Got Here
- Currently under the watchful eye of Tyson Henrie, founder and head coach of the Outlaw MTB team, amd our parents, we travel and participate in races and events all over the USA and Canada. Our main event focus is gravity and dual slalom, but we love to just ride and jump our bikes all over. We spend time riding with mom and dad when we are home in Utah, at the I Street Bikepark, Park City Mountain and Provo. We enjoy the camaraderie and the chance to support our friends and teammates as team leaders and mentors, creating lofty goals and creating new, solid friendships along the way. Riding is part of our fabric, and being able to share our love for the sport with others is very gratifying.
- The sport of Downhill MTB racing is extremely expensive, and unfortunately some of the events we have been invited to are just too much of a financial stretch for us to be able to attend. We know our parents want the best for us, and have taught us the value of money, and working hard. We are very much involved with our fundraising, and understand that we need to choose the events we participate in. We love selling lemonade, and making bike bracelet jewelery to help us reach our fundraising goals. This keeps us involved in the process, and helps us understand how much it takes to get to where we want to go!
- We want to thank our parents Liz and Tony for being our biggest fans and supporters, our coach Tyson Henrie and the rest of the Outlaw Team members, and all of our product sponsors for believing us and supporting us along the way! Commencal Bikes, Magura Brakes, Kenda Tires, Sensus grips, Rotor America, Tannus Inserts, Leatt protectives, Sp2Life Nutrition and Demon United.
Join My Team and Spread the Word!
- Please share our Rally and help us reach our goals! For every $50 donated we will send a custom - made bike themed bracelet!