Welcome to My Rally Campaign
- My name is Joseph "Anthony" Lara, everyone calls me Anthony. I am a 4th grader at IDEA Public School. I like fishing, hunting, going to the movies, sports games and reading. Being born with Spina Bifida isn't bad as people think... as a matter of fact I love that I am UNIQUE and different from everyone else. I have many goals; first my academics (I like to be competitive in my grades and always get the highest grade I can), reading (I recently became a Millionaire) and now I found something else I love to do...play wheelchair basketball! I want to play basketball and one day play in the Paralympics and win medals!
Why I'm Raising Funds
- The funds I am trying to raise are to complete the rest of the amount needed to purchase the wheelchair for basketball. I was blessed to have recieved a grant of Kelly Brush Foundation for $1000 and now need to raise for the rest of the cost. I am also hoping I can raise a little extra to help my mommy and daddy with all they spend in traveling!
How I Got Here
- My mom and dad are always telling me I can do anything I set my mine to and NEVER let me use my disability as an excuse not to participate. In September my parents took me to Spina Bifida Day at Morgan's Wonderland in San Antonio. There was a table there where Brooke from STRAPS was giving information to parents about the program. My mom was really interested in what Brooke was telling her and then they mentioned it to me. I really didn't want to give STRAPS a try because I was not sure I would fit in. My mom doesnt take no for an answer and got everything ready to take me the trip to the clinic they would be having at the end of September. I met my coaches and the team... I fell in love with the game! Playing wheelchair basketball makes me feel fast, I can be competitive like my brother and sister (I'm just not cheering from the stands) and it makes me feel amazing!
- My team, coaches and STRAPS directors welcomed me and made me feel part of all that was going on!
- I have an amazing team and many supporters! My mom and dad have always told me to thank God first because without him I would not be able to do the things I do. My dad and mom have been and are always my biggest supporters and fans. They have always allowed me participate in all events and activites going on; regardless of what it takes they make it happen! Thank you Mom and Dad for always being my supporters and taking me to participate in everything.
- My big brother (Angel) and sister (Samm) who are always including me in everything they do and also telling me I can do it all. Since I was a baby they have always watched out for me and been understanding of everything. They have friends that have included me in all they do like playing football, softball and other games.
- My Grandparents Longoria for always following me and supporting me in all I do no matter the distance they have to travel. If I am participating in anything you will know my Grandma is there because she is the loudest one cheering for me in the crowd! My Nani (Aunt) and her family for supporting me and cheering me on.
- I also have other family and friends who keep up with me and all I am doing. For all the support and encouragment. These people are a phone call away to offer help to my parents when needed.
- My School (Principal Perez, all the teachers, staff, nurse, counselors, coaches and students) for always including me in all they do and making it possible in adjusting things for me. Mr. Gonzalez for always making it interesting and fun! To Edinburg Police Dept. for always coming together to help my parents in helping me as much as they can.
- To STRAPS...Coach Brooke, Coach Gil and Coach Merritte for taking the time to put STRAPS together to help kids like me know that there is a way to be competitive in sports and love the game. They have helped me to feel like I can do what my brother and sister do in my own way.
- THANK YOU TO EVERYONE!!!!
Join My Team and Spread the Word!
- Thank you to the Booster and I would appreciate all the help I can get! Please share my Rally through all your social media. Please help me reach my goals!!! Maybe one day you will see me getting medals in the Paralympics!
There are no updates yet.
Greg and Kimberly Selber